Photography by Ahmed Almodovar of Southern Xposure ModelsWords by Lionel Barnes
The VH1 “finding love” reality show format has become very predictable. That doesn't stop us from tuning in to see the drama as celebrities look for love. Although it is hard to believe that either the celebs or their intendeds are actually there to find the love of anyone other than audiences or entertainment executives, the format has become a staple of guilty pleasure TV.
Like many before her, Mz. Berry (Connie Devereux) walked away without love but plenty of fame. Fresh off of the reunion show, she’s casually draped in form-fitting sweats, Tweeting fans on her mobile phone while waiting for our staff to prepare for her shoot. She appears oblivious to the mini-crowd that has gathered around catching glimpses of her, and staring in disbelief that they are in the presence of a reality-show star. She studies her phone, fielding messages regarding the reunion show and her discontent at Vh1’s Cocktail’s outburst at the reunion show.
She's calm amidst the storm of dealing with instant stardom, divorce, motherhood, and having her hopes of finding real love with Ray-J dashed. Perhaps too calm. While her classy persona was appreciated on the show, we wanted more from Mz. Berry—more drama, more insight, more dirt. She kept us wanting more, period. Perhaps that was the plan all along...
You came across on-air as somewhat emotional and jealous. Do you think that was a true representation of who you are?
“As far as the emotional part, it was a very intense situation and because I was there for this man and to win his love it became a little overwhelming. As for the jealousy, they showed one episode where I appeared to be jealous but I wasn't. I was irritated and felt that Ray was doing too much to make sure the other ladies felt some attention because they had been saying repeatedly that he was giving me too much attention and not enough to them. But I was never jealous of any of the ladies.”
How did the reunion special make you feel?
“That situation was not hurtful because I knew that we had been seeing and speaking with each other since the show wrapped and I did say that on the Reunion but it was not aired. I was more confused than anything, but hurt that they tried to make me look like Ray didn't care about me.”
Are you still seeing Ray-J?
“We are seeing each other as much as time and distance will allow, but a couple we are not.”
Have you gotten to spend any real time with him since the reunion taping?
“Since the reunion show we haven't seen each other.”
Are you open to dating other celebrities? If so, why? If not, why not?
“I've never set out to date celebrities! If someone is interested in me and I find them interesting then we may go out.”
Read More In 50Fifty Magazine

No comments:
Post a Comment