Words by: Nicole Flowers
Comedian Mike Epps burst onto the scene as "Day-Day" in the cult classic "Next Friday". Since that hilarious introduction, he's been Hollywood's go-to guy for side-splitting comedic roles. We got him to take a break from his busy touring schedule to give 50Fifty readers the real on the dark side of comedy, balancing family and fame, Barack Obama, and what Halle Berry, Gabrielle Union, Megan Fox, Jessica Simpson and Octomom all have in common. Charming, hilarious and refreshingly down to Earth, Mike Epps is a real stand-up guy.
Have you found yourself struggling to manage fame? If so, what do you do to combat dark influences?
“I have had my ups and downs in the 16 years I have been in the business. I have had my hard times. I have realized it made me who I am and gave me the jokes and heart and tenacity to continue to be in the business. I don’t regret nothing that happened for me or to me up to this point. It made me who I am. Anything less than that, I wouldn’t be who I am. I have been through drug addiction; I have been through not having all my necessities. Never been on the park bench or anything like that. I always had a little hustle. I’ve always been likeable. God gave me that gift and it has always helped me in my life in all situations.”
Are movie directors generally receptive to the idea of ad-libs during shooting? How much of your performances would you say deviate from the script?
“I think there’s a natural side to casting that comedians bring to the game. Ever since the beginning of time, we’ve always brought a little extra as actors, with timing and quick wit the vulnerability. At this point in thegame, Hollywood understands that comedians are really good actors; quick witted and spontaneous and canreally dig into characters and evolve. I really think we’re hard to box in. You have to give them a guideline and say, ‘Hey, stay within this, but do your thing’.”
“Um, I love stand-up because it is, you know, instant gratification. You come out, [and] people see you live in the flesh. I prefer that over acting, because it’s my grassroots I started with. [That’s] my bread and meat. If I don’t do that, I don’t eat.”
Read More in 50Fifty Magazine

No comments:
Post a Comment